Remember to always drink responsibly
Tips for a succesful night out:
- Drink water or soft drinks between alcoholic drinks to dilute the alcohol.
- Pace yourself. Slow down and take small sips not big gulps.
- Eat something before or during drinking. Food makes the body absorb alcohol more slowly.
- Change your drink. Make spirits into long drinks by topping up with more mixer, add soda water to white wine, or choose shandy rather than beer.
- Watch out for larger measures at home or at a party compared with standard pub measures.
- Know how to refuse a drink. You don’t have to take one just because it’s offered or take part in rounds you don’t want. And don’t pressurise others into drinking.
- Darker drinks like red wine, brandy and whisky give worse hangovers because of higher concentrations of chemicals called congeners.
- Avoid top-ups so you can keep track of how much you are drinking.
- Learn the strengths of your drinks so you can stick to your own limits, bearing in mind the safe limits are 2-3 units per day for women and 3-4 units per day for men (but not every day).
- Plan how you’re going to get home before your night out. Take a cab or ask a non-drinking driver to collect you.
More tips and info at:
Drinkaware.co.uk and Enjoyresponsibly.co.uk